Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mini Profile... for Eponymy... owner Andrea (Dream) Miller

Hello lovelies... I hope all is well in your lives... today I've decided to share with you a brief profile of Drea (as Andrea is known by her friends) Miller... Drea is the owner of Eponymy a new (ish) boutique and gallery in Slope area of Brooklyn... Drea also help start Humbles Arts Foundation a not-for-profit organization that works to advance the careers of emerging fine-art photographers by way of exhibition and publishing opportunities... yes she has as many jobs as a Jamaican... (of course no offense meant to anyone...) So with her busy schedule it was definitely a favor for her to make time for WIIN (What It Is... NY)




1) WIIN: what is your full name? DREA: Andrea Meservey Miller

2) WIIN: where are you from and how long have you been in NY? DREA: I was born in New York and raised mainly in the Hudson River Valley with my mom but also in the City with my father and step-mom. I lived in Portland, Oregon for 4 years during college but other than that I’ve been in NY for 28 years.

3) WIIN: what is Eponymy and the motivation behind the name and how long has it been in existence? DREA: Eponymy is a women’s (some men’s soon!) boutique that also acts as a gallery for emerging artists – it has a humorous but also macabre curiosity shop edge. The name – Eponymy – is a fancy way to say that a place, a discovery, an era – anything really -- takes its name from the name of a person – either fictitious or real. “The Victorian Era” for example --that’s eponymous. So the idea is that the Eponymy customer could create his or her own discovery. That the shop could take its name from the customer, not the other way around. Who knows if that’s realistic (or even comprehensible), but it was the motivation behind the name. Eponymy opened in September 2008.

drea miller with red vintage jacket...

4)WIIN: in 5 words or less how would describe your personal style? DREA: Don’t take myself too seriously.

5)WIIN: whats your favorite item of your wardrobe? DREA: My aunt was a John Powers model in NY back in the 50’s and 60’s so I’ve inherited a few of her amazing pieces from that time. I wear this stuff all the time, mixing it with new stuff – it’s all so well made and timeless. As a rule, I never sell family stuff.



6) WIIN: what do you think girls need to wear more of? DREA: Boy short underwear and/or clothing that actually fits (or is oversize). I am STILL seeing tons of thongs hanging out the back/ showing through all kinds of outfits and it’s a struggling look. Women look best when not shrink-wrapped or air-sealed.

7) WIIN: what or who has been your greatest fashion influence? DREA: Asia

8) WIIN: what current trend have you seen enough of? DREA: Man, I could write a book but two that have been on my radar are: 1) The non conformist-conformist look. It’s like everyone in college is in one big “counter culture” fraternity/sorority/club or something. 2) There is also this religious/elderly/ Emily Dickenson/ Mary Poppins look that’s so popular right now with young women that I really, really can’t grasp.



9)WIIN: who is your favorite designer of the moment? DREA: Arati Rao who will have a line in my store called “A Line” in fall.

10) WIIN: what is the best fashion tip that you are willing to share? DREA: Don’t be an asshole. No matter what you are wearing, if you have bad energy -- you’ll never truly have style.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

J'adore!!tout simplement...
I'm out the door to go to Eponymy!!